Dogs » Campylobacter question

alioops alioops

Campylobacter question

My 13month GSD over the last 5wks has been suffering with terrible, terrible diarrhea. He was always on the lean side but has lost over 5kg in weight and now looking on the verge of emaciated. Blood tests came back neg for EPI but showed a defficiancy in B12. Feacal samples came back pos for campylobacter. He was put on 3wks of antibiotics and during that time showed a huge improvement with firm stools and no more weight loss. I have just dropped off a further 3days worth of feacal samples as he finished the antbiotics but again he has relapsed back to terrible diarrhea. I spoke to the vet and he has given me some more antibiotics to give to him whilst we wait for feacal results. Does this sound like typical campylobacter or is it likely to be an intestinal malabsorption problem?

5/12/09

Answer this question
TonyT TonyT

While you're waiting for an answer from the vet ask on www.dogsey.com the vet does not man the site 24/7 hope this helps.

5/12/09

stuart stuart

Candidly it sounds more serious than a campylobacter infection. Back to the vets I am afraid and may well be time to request a referral/second opinion.

5/12/09

alioops alioops

Thankyou Stuart for your reply. Today is the 3rd day back on antibiotics and once again he has improved. It seems like the antibiotics are holding him. He is ravanous and although he is being fed 3 x day he does not gain weight. Everytime he has an attack of what I can only say seems like colitis he looks to lose more weight. He remains in great spirits and does not appear unwell in himself what so ever. I have reduced his exercise so he doesn't burn off those valuable calories ( he does love his walks!) We have spent over ?4000 on him this year on vets fees and have long exceeded his entitlement on insurance. So far I have spent ?500 on this problem. My insurance renews on Jan 1st would it be cruel for me to keep him stable on antibiotics and seek a referral then?

6/12/09

alioops alioops

Just read my post back. I sound like an awful owner, I 'hate' that money comes into the care that I give my dogs. But the reality is that referalls are going to be very expensive and I just don't have that sort of money. When I took out the insurance not for one minute did I think that I would reach the maximum of ?4000 and be on my own with the vets bills. All I need is to get through the next few weeks with Dante and then money would be no object. I feel like I'm in an impossible position and I hate myself for it =0(

6/12/09

stuart stuart

Firstly do check that the insurance is renewable you may well find that diarrhoea or bowel problems will be excluded. You are likely to be getting your renewal documents shortly if you haven't already got them.
The brief history you give the response to antibiotics and the low B12/folate suggest that there is a bacterial overgrowth problem for which long term (at least 6 weeks) antibiotic treatment is neccessary (and occasionally works). As long as the antibiotics are holding thigs at bay then keep him on them and keep your fingers crossed. It is likely that you are going to need to modify his diet and feeding regime considerably.

7/12/09

Chicco Chicco

Ask your vet on this occassion whether he would be so kind as to just write a prescription and allow you to get your antibiotics online at somewhere like Hyperdrug (Canine Chemist).

You will be charged approx. ?11 for the prescription but get the antibiotics much cheaper if he has to stay on them.

I only do this under specific circumstances as I do realise that it can cause a rift between you and your vet to do it all the time, and also, all the consultation fees would go up if everyone did it.

My vet was good with an old rescue dog that I couldn't get insured. He was antibiotics long term.

All the best.

And no --- nobody would think you are an awful owner

7/12/09

alioops alioops

Thankyou everybody for your kind replies. Thankfully my boy is covered by Petplan covered for life policy so once the new year has come we shall be covered for vets fees again. I have googled 'bacterial overgrowth' and the symptoms fit but I guess without more tests, gut biopsies etc the actual problem will still remain unknown. I saw in the pet shop some probiotic biscuit treats just wondering if these may help? I have got him onto Burns dog food which is meant to be very good for dogs with a malabsorption problem. Also I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using 'Slippery Elm Bark'? It is meant to be very good for dogs with gastrointestinal disease.
If anyone can think of anything else I can do to help my boy their imput would gladly received. Its worrying times!

8/12/09

stuart stuart

probiotic biscuits yes charcoal buiscuits may help too. Hold the Slippery Elm Bark for now. I know nothing about it.
Are the antibiotics holding things under control?

8/12/09

alioops alioops

Thankyou stuart I will buy the biscuits this afternoon. The antibiotics are holding things under control but even though we have had nearly 4 weeks of a stabalised gut ( apart from the 24hr hiccup between antibiotics) he doesn't look to have gained any weight. He has a voracious appetite and has become a real theif which is something new. I am now feeding him 4 x a day he's now on 700grams of food rather than the 350 grams recomended on the bag.
I'll weigh him this afternoon as I have got to take my other dog to the vets because she has ripped a toe nail off! Looks like my guys are determined to keep me poor lol!! I'd like just one month when I'm not knocking on my vets door. I have had a rotten run of bad luck with my dogs this year I'm just hoping that 2010 will be a bit easier!

9/12/09

You must be a registered member to answer questions, you can Register here